I have been experimenting with getting the perfect combination for delicious gluten-free waffles. There are many recipes out there, with varying levels of complexity. What I wanted was a recipe that had basic, healthy ingredients, protein-rich, not utterly time consuming to make and of course, delicious!
These waffles get their protein from local, fresh eggs and almond flour; two great sources of protein. The high protein content of the waffles means they will sustain you right through to lunch and are the perfect start to your day. The trick to whipping up these waffles quickly is to multi-task – be sure to read through the instructions before starting so that you can make these tasty treats in a jiffy.
- 3 local eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or almond milk
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp raw cocoa powder (optional)
- 3 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- Get your waffle iron heating up.
- Separate the yolk from the whites of 3 eggs.
- Place the egg whites in your mixer and whisk until they form moist, stiff peaks.
- While your egg whites are whisking, melt 2 tbsp of butter or coconut oil in a glass measuring cup on your stove.
- While your butter is melting and egg whites are whisking, combine the 3 yolks and coconut milk in a separate mixing bowl.
- Slowly mix in almond flour and sea salt; combine until smooth.
- Add melted butter, maple syrup and cocoa powder if using (highly recommended).
- Lightly fold in the whisked egg whites in batches being careful not to over mix (the air bubbles in the egg whites will give your waffles a nice lift)
- Grease your waffle iron with remaining tbsp of butter or coconut oil.
- Pour batter into waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
- Top with your favourite ingredients and enjoy! (My personal favourites: maple syrup, mixed berries, bananas, fresh fruit, coconut whipped cream, chocolate chips, etc.)
Share this Recipe: [ssba]
Enjoy a batch on the weekend or double it so you have some tasty leftovers to start off your week right. And how you top these off is up to you – experiment with different fruits such as mixed berries or banana and mango or treat yourself with a couple chocolate chips sprinkled on for good measure.